Sierra

Sierra
Sierra

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Flagstaff

~4.5 miles
~1,600 vertical

We were again a bit lazy about getting out. We waffled, but what the heck, it is a nice day. I was intending to run up Flagstaff somewhat hard, but after a quick start, I decided I was not really feeling motivated or fresh and that I would rather hike with Allison and Sierra.

After several minutes, I recalled reading in Matt Carpenter's Pikes Training guide about the minute on/minute off workout. I figured this would be a good way to get in some workout and not totally ditch Allison and Sierra. I ended up doing 8 seperate minutes on, with a minute rest in between, with one of those rests being 2 minutes (due to the dog and a road crossing).

These were the longest minutes I have experienced since going to visit my grandparents as a kid. By the 7th one, I was feeling a bit tired and on the 8th, I just knew I was done. I think I have to build up to it and maybe eventually work up to 15 or 20. I see the benefit though, not only is it a great workout, I don't think I have ever gone uphill so fast (even if only for a minute at a time).

No comments:

Post a Comment