Sierra

Sierra
Sierra

Monday, May 11, 2009

Monday, 05/11/09 Bear Peak/S. Boulder Peak

I decided I needed to go somewhat hard today, so I took a shot at Bear Peak as a bit of a fitness reality check. From the first step, I felt lousy. Nothing in particular was bugging me, I was just a bit lethargic, had little energy and was generally not into it (into being outside, just not into railing it).

I pressed on and my time checks were decent, so I faked it for a bit, but knew by the saddle that I was not able to fake it for much longer, the charade was over. From the time I got on the Fern Canyon Trail, all the way to the summit, I was power hiking mostly and only ran several very short sections. I made it to the post near the summit in 39:49 and was only moderately satisfied, as I was hoping to be under 40, but was secretly hoping I would do better than that.

I know I am not at my best yet, but was secretly hoping for at least a minute better than this. Perhaps I could better this a bit if I felt a little better to start, who knows. From the post, I cruised over the true summit, hopped down the rocks on the West side and jogged over to S. Boulder at a more conservative pace. I backtracked to Bear and then descended Fern, just cruising, never pushing. Not a bad day, not a great day.

Splits:

Cragmoor TH 0:00
Shanahan Jct. 2:50
Doggy Mud Pond Jct. 4:30
Mesa Trail 13:30
Saddle 25:58
Bear 39:49
S. Boulder 51:5?
Bear 1:01:??
Saddle 1:09
Finish 1:28

2 comments:

  1. I was out there today, too. I started at Bear Mountain Drive... posted a personal best of 1h46m round trip. I'm stoked that the trails are warming and firming up... the ice and (now) mud we've had in the last months changes the game so much. See you out there ~ PJ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jeff- Like I emailed you about, you are a sandbagger. 39:49 is a stout time! It will be scary to see how you run it when you feel good. You are one of the more talented hill runners around Boulder.

    ReplyDelete